Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Soteriology

I was reading a James Luther Adams paper on "Sin and Salvation" in An Examined Faith(which I had the great pleasure of discussing with George Beach at GA last year) and I got to thinking that there must be some other useful reads in some of the more difficult areas of theology from a Unitarian or Universalist perspective. I would be particularly interested in anything on soteriology, eschatology, theodicy and pneumatology. I have found http://www.religion-online.org/ very useful for Tillich texts and also have found some informative texts at http://www.jesusradicals.org/ (particularly Ellul and Tolstoy). I tend towards a social gospel eschatology, influenced by Tolstoy and the Catholic Worker movement.

I feel like a lot of times people rehash christology and the trinity endlessly at the expense of other parts of theology.

So any suggestions for texts, especially online texts?

2 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Adin Ballou's Practical Christianity at http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5002087011

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Jaume de Marcos Andreu said...

Do you mean a soteriology in the past or for the future? If for the future, my position is also social, but rather liberationist, and I am inspired by the work of Knitter, among others. This generates a liberationist doctrine on sin. As for eschatology, Universalism is not as challenged as a theology as Unitarianism is lately in UU circles, so I would say that a Universal Restoration, whether in a spiritual (Origen) or a naturalist/ecological sense, may be applied. But more on this in the upcoming Theological Symposyum organized by the ICUU in Transylvania.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home