Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Token protestant

I am in a great pastoral counseling class right now taught at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology. It is funny because I end up being the token protestant student, with a rabbinical student being the only other student who is not a Catholic. When people go out of their way to modify language from the texts to be ecumenical and more inclusive of protestants I don't quite have the heart to break it to them how much further they might have to go in a UU context. My Jewish classmate will occasionally preface a sentence with "As the only non-Christian..." and I don't quite feel like explaining.

I have expressed some reticence in the past here about appropriating Christian traditions that do not feel properly mine, even if I do believe that Unitarian Universalism is squarely in the protestant tradition.

We were discussing the concept of pastor in the term pastoral care and whether it was separable from notions of Christianity. Apparently they do use the term at some synagogues and I did share that I have still seen Pastoral Care Committees in UU fellowships where one would only say God or Jesus if a hymnal was dropped on one's foot.

2 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger Brian Spolarich said...

That reminds me of the old chestnut:

"The last time Christ was mentioned at the U-U church was when the janitor fell down the stairs."

Oh, I love our ecumenical humor. :-)

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Hilarious. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home