Friday, September 16, 2005

Starr King School for the Ministry and other UU Seminaries

I try to avoid blogging about the school, just as a matter of boundaries. But since it has come up in the comments, I feel somewhat obliged. Also I seem to get a google hit for unitarian seminary very often.

Contrary to the notion of one commenter, the school is not facing demise. And I may gripe about it but lets face it I'm in my third year. I had a great time in undergrad at UC San Diego, but you wouldn't even want to see everything I had to say about the place by my third year there.

Another reason I do not blog about the Thomas Starr King School for the Ministry is because I love it and I think it would make for boring reading. I would wholeheartedly recommend the school to any prospective students, particular if they prefer self directed study and their path includes UU ministry (if your true passion is to get a PhD right after your MDiv, by all means try to get into Harvard. It would look good).

I'm in no position to say anythihng about any other seminary. I imagine most of us only go to one. I like mine because it is a good fit for me and I love the faculty. They have done a great job of both challenging me and supporting me in my formation.

As a long distance commuter, my classmates have been key in giving me a strong sense of community and belonging. I've wondered sometimes how the Meadville-Lombard modified residency program would compare to my experience. In general I would suggest that anyone contemplating an MDiv should not do what I am doing and should be a more local and involved student. At this point I see the light at the end of the tunnel and have no regrets, however. I will however be sad to see the students who came in with me go if I take extra time to finish.

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for occasionally saying something about your seminary experience. I'm among those readers who is considering Unitarian Universalist ministry as a new career, and reading about people's thoughts of the schools they attend is helpful in my decision about where to apply. I don't expect the daily, milk-and-cookies What I Learned in School Today, but I like the entries about your schooling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home