Sunday, September 18, 2005

Unexpected Joy

During church today, right in the middle of the sharing of Joys and Concerns, a great egret was standing on a piling not 20 yards away.The kids were still in this week because it was our ingathering/water communion service.

I tried as subtly as possible to point out this amazing bird to the kids. Before I could mention it to anyone else, it flew away. I thought my kids had missed it too, but a minute later my three year old starting telling me about seeing "the bird that catches the fish in its mouth and you can see the fish hanging there." He'd seen that picture in a book before.

Blessed be, and may our hearts fill with gladness for unexpected joy and beauty that may fly into our lives when we least expect it.

2 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You almost lived a Lyle Lovett lyric. (Try saying that three times fast...)

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Robin Edgar said...

Here's another "amazing bird" for you. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home