Sunday, May 14, 2006

Transylvania


I've been very bad about writing anything here. I've been hit by a very busy school year end and a very busy couple months at work.

On top of this, I have been given the once in a lifetime opportunity to go to Transylvania and spend six months working with a rural minister and participating in the life of his congregation. This parish immersion experience will be my first ministerial internship, though I will be applying for another internship in the US later.

During the week of General Assembly, I will be in an intensive Hungarian language seminar in Kolozsvar. I will then attend the ICUU symposium before I travel to the village of Homorodszentpal.

I believe that there is a lot we can learn from the lives of our brothers and sisters in Transylvania. I am particularly interested in how different liturgies develop in different cultural contexts and in how differently the same Unitarian ideals develop in different contexts. It is my hope that a broader awareness of Transylvanian Unitarianism can help many Unitarian Universalists come to terms with their relationship to their Christian roots such that they might be able to derive some meaning from the Christian tradition without necessarily identifying as Christian or forgetting whatever troubling experiences they may have had with the tradition.

Anyone interested in furthering the work of bringing Transylvanian ministers to study in the US or in how more American UU seminarians could have learning experiences in Transylvania should contact the Balazs Scholars Program at Starr King School For the Ministry.

5 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey JField and family!
It sounds like this would be a once in a life time experience and it is so cool!!!Send pics Love ya guys! Sherri

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James. Sounds like an interesting, life changing, wonderful opportunity. Good for you guys, going on an adventure. Travel is so good for challenging and changing us. I need it soon. I feel a little too caught in this "american dream" I need to shake things up. Blessings on your experience there, I'm sure you will offer them a lot with your good heart and intelligence. Take Care. Love Cathy.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well posted, James! What a dream, and to be able to share the experience as a family! As those Protestants are wont to believe, hard work bears fruit. You, my man, have been in the salt mine for a long time...

The Braider's wish you all the best! I hope we get a camping trip in with all of you before team Arenas-Field heads out of our beloved 'one nation under surveillance.' Peace, Justin

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said...

Wow. Now I am wishing I was coming, too! Will you e-mail me your emerging thoughts about liturgical development and evolution? I would LOVE to.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Joseph Santos-Lyons said...

Glad to hear about your experiences man, I'd love to sit down with you at some point. I was there for a few weeks as well years back, really informative about our UU faith. I'll be going to the UU Church of the Philippines iN September, for my internship. take care - joseph

 

Post a Comment

<< Home