Saturday, March 12, 2005

Nursing Ethics

From the 6th Edition of Potter and Perry's Fundamentals of Nursing, Unit IV, Chapter 21 Ethics and Values, Review Questions (p. 403)

7. Successful ethical discussion depends on people who have a clear sense of personal values. When many people share the same values it may be possible to identify a philosophy of utilitarianism, which proposes that:

1. The value of people is determined solely by leaders in the Unitarian Church.
2. The decision to perform a liver transplant depends on a measure of the moral life that the client has led so far.
3. The best way to determine the solution to an ethical dilemna is to refer the case to the attending physician.
4. The value of of something is determined by its usefulness to society.


I don't really know what ot say about this. I know I was influenced by Peter Singer's application of preference utilitarianism when I became a vegetarian in college. My partner and I both got a good laugh out of this, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home